(a) A WSSC bill is due and payable upon receipt.
(1) Customers are provided 30 calendar days from the date the bill is generated to remit payment.
(2) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, a five percent late fee shall be assessed if the bill is not paid within three days of the end of the payment period.
(3) After the late fee is assessed, WSSC shall issue a notice stating the date that the account is eligible for shutoff.
(4) The notice will be sent to:
(i) The service address; and
(ii) The property owner’s address.
(c) Once every 12 months, one late fee may be waived upon customer request.
(d) Water service to a property shall be suspended if the customer does not pay the water and sewer bill.
(e) If a check received as payment is returned by the bank, the account will be billed a returned check charge in accordance with WSSC’s schedule of fees and charges.
(f) WSSC may continue to bill fixed fees when a property’s water is shut-off for any reason.
(1) Properties where service has been suspended for nonpayment of delinquent bills shall be checked periodically to ensure service remains suspended.
(2) Usage that registers on the meter after a property has been suspended shall be billed to the account.
(3) WSSC may investigate the usage and take steps to remedy the use.
(h) Except as provided in subsection (i) of this section, water service may not be restored to the property until:
(1) Past due charges and fees are paid in full; and
(2) The customer provides WSSC with a signed release of liability.
(1) Water service to a property may be restored without full payment of past due charges and fees if the customer makes:
(i) A partial payment; and
(ii) Payment arrangements for the balance.
(2) When extending payment arrangements, WSSC may consider:
(i) Payment history;
(ii) Prior payment arrangements;
(iii) The account’s history of turnoffs; and
(iv) Any other relevant account or customer information. (Res. 2019-2220)